Electron Microscopy Core Facility
The facility houses four electron microscopes, a comprehensive preparation laboratory which includes a range of specialised room temperature and cryo sample preparation equipment, ultramicrotomes and a suite of computer workstations for image processing.
The facility is actively involved in a wide range of research topics across the Faculty and in the past few years has contributed to a significant number of scientific publications in high profile biological journals, including publications where electron microscopy staff members are authors.
It is staffed by two Senior Experimental Officers and two experienced technicians.
Electron microscopy staff are available to train and assist both staff and students in all aspects of electron microscopy and are involved in the promotion of electron microscopy to schools and colleges.
- Thermo Fisher Glacios 200kV FEG transmission cryo electron microscope with Falcon 3EC direct detector camera
- FEI Tecnai12 BioTwin transmission electron microscope with Gatan Orius SC1000A CCD camera Thermo Fisher Talos L120C transmission electron microscope with Ceta CMOS camera and several STEM detectors
- Quanta 250 FEG scanning electron microscope with Gatan 3View attachment for serial block face imaging
- Leica and Baltec high pressure freezing equipment
- Vitrobot IV plunge freezer
- Reichert Jung Ultramicrotomes and Leica Cryo Ultramicrotomes
- Miscellaneous TEM, cryo TEM and SEM sample preparation equipmentLinux and Windows workstations for image analysis
Techniques routinely available in the facility include routine TEM and SEM, immuno TEM, correlative light electron microscopy, electron tomography, serial block face imaging and single particle analysis.
Additionally, the facility has expertise in the specialist techniques of cryo-sectioning and 3D reconstruction.