Biological mass spectrometry
The biological mass spectrometry core facility is a state-of-the-art resource for the identification, characterisation and quantification of proteins.
Five dedicated facility staff provide service support for the most popular applications as well as developing and establishing new methodologies using the equipment. Recent publications using data created within the facility include ones in Nature and Journal of Cell Science.
- Thermo QExactive HF
- Thermo Orbitrap Elite
- Sciex 6500 QTrap with Selexion
- Bruker Ultraflex II MALDI-TOFTOF
- Thermo Velos Pro
- KingfisherFlex magnetic bead robot
- Micro scale separation systems based upon chromatography (Thermo U3000 system), 1D and 2D PAGE (Novex Zoom systems), isoelectric focusing (Agilent Off-Gel system) and preparative SDS PAGE (Expedeon GelFree system)
- Millipore Direct Detect protein quantification system
- Equipment for solid phase extraction by centrifugation or positive pressure
The facility provides a comprehensive service for the identification of proteins from PAGE gels and for the confirmation of protein mass for recombinant proteins. It can also provide project specific support for more complicated projects with highly experienced staff available to help perform or train on sample preparation and data analysis.
Dr David Knight, Mass Spectrometry
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1561