The Bioimaging Facility offers state-of-the-art imaging equipment to all members of the Faculty, the University and beyond.
There are more than 30 different microscope systems available, so if you have a project that requires imaging we should have a system to meet your specifications.
The facility has contributed to a number of high impact publications including Genes and Development and Nature. We have also a number of collaborations with other imaging facilities around the country and have close working relationships with many of the microscope and imaging companies.
We run regular imaging workshops and also host workshops in collaboration with the microscope companies for external users.
Please visit the Manchester Bioimaging Facility Website for more information and to view our image gallery.
Members of the University of Manchester can also visit the Bioimaging Facility Intranet Page for more technical details about the microscopes we have.
- Zeiss Axioimager upright fluorescence microscopes (x3)
- Zeiss Examiner A1 dipping lens snapshot microscope
- Olympus BX63 Upright colour / monochrome camera microscope
- Olympus IX83 Inverted fluorescence snapshot microscope
- Leica M205 FA Stereofluorescence microscope
Long Term Live Cell Imaging Widefields
- Nikon Eclipse Ti Inverted microscopes (x3)
- Nikon Eclipse TE2000-E Inverted microscope
Quantitative Phase Imaging Microscope
- Phasefocus LiveCyte
Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopes
- Leica SP8 inverted
- Leica SP8 upright
- Zeiss LSM880 Inverted Airyscan (x2)
- Zeiss LSM880 Upright Airyscan
- Zeiss LSM780
- Zeiss LSM710 Confocor
Spinning Disk Confocals
- 3i Spinning Disk Confocal Microscope
- Andor Dragonfly 200 (with SRRF-Stream super-resolution and mosaic photoactivation/FRAP)
Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy
- Leica Infinity TIRF Microscope
- TIRF module on the 3i Spinning Disk Confocal Microscopes
- Olympus IX83 Inverted microscopes (with Huygens deconvolution).
- Leica SP8 Upright Multiphoton
Gated STED Super-resolution imaging
- Leica SP8 Inverted gSTED
Light Sheet Microscopes
- Zeiss Light Sheet Z.1 (x2)
- 3i Lattice Light Sheet
High content screening
- Incucyte ZOOM Plate Imager
- Thermo CX5 High Content Imager
- 3D Histec Pannoramic250 slide scanner
- Flexstation 3 Microplate Reader
- Olympus MMI CellCut
Off-line image analysis
- Imaris (image analysis and 3D rendering / cell tracking)
- Huygens Professional
- Cell Profiler
- CaseViewer with Histoquant licence (for viewing and analysing slide-scanner images).
- Arivis Vision 4D
Other techniques that are possible within the Bioimaging Facility include:
- Phase contrast / DIC / darkfield imaging
- Bioluminescence / Chemluminescence
- Spectral imaging
- FRAP / FLIP
- FRET (acceptor stimulation)
- Time domain FLIM / frequency domain FLIM / FLIM-FRET
- Primo Cell Printing
- Deben Stretching
- AFM imaging (including optical overlay) / AFM nanomechanics
The Bioimaging Facility has three full time members of staff who are able to assist you in all areas of your imaging project from design through to image processing and analysis.
Before you begin your project we encourage you to discuss your requirements with us and we can advise you on your protocols and which system to use. We then provide full training on all of the systems and offer continued support right through the project.
We also run a microscope slide scanning drop-off service where you can leave batches of fluorescent or colour brightfield slides with us and we will scan the entire sample area on each slide for you.
Tel: +44 (0)161 275 1571