The University of Manchester - China Scholarship Council joint scholarship
The University of Manchester is proud to offer six scholarships for Chinese PhD students that will cover fees and living expenses for three years, thanks to a joint scheme between the University and the China Scholarship Council (CSC).
The China Scholarship Council is an organisation that provides financial support to Chinese citizens wishing to study abroad and for foreign students wishing to study in China.
Since 2015, the University of Manchester has been participating in a joint-award agreement with the China Scholarship Council to PhD students from China.
The University of Manchester will cover full tuition fees for the period of the relevant programme as outlined in the offer letter (usually three years). CSC will provide living allowances as prescribed by the Chinese Government, and will cover the round-trip international airfare for students from China to the United Kingdom, visa and passport application fees.
Eligibility and how to apply
The deadline for applications to The University of Manchester is 15 January 2018. Please note this is an earlier deadline from previously advertised information, due to changes with the China Scholarship Council’s application deadline. Please submit an application to the University as soon as possible. Candidates will need to hold an offer for PhD study from September 2018 onwards.
Please note, the application deadline has been brought forward by the China Scholarship Council for their part of the application process, which you complete once your academic offer has been confirmed. Further information on this will be provided in January 2018. Please refer directly to the CSC website for China Scholarship Council’s specific application deadline, by which all of your documents will need to be submitted to them.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must be citizens and permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application.
- Overseas Chinese students may be eligible for application subject to CSC policy at the time (CSC publicises the policy in October or November every year).
- Successful candidates must return to China upon completion of their studies and/or research.
- Candidates must hold an unconditional offer letter from The University of Manchester. You must therefore fulfil the relevant academic entry requirements set by the University, including a high level of English language proficiency, as outlined on the University's website.
- Candidates should satisfy the selection criteria set out by CSC.
The CSC agreement will only cover projects set at our lowest band fees (Standard or Band 1). Band fee information can be found alongside the project details in the project search tool.
Further information regarding the scheme can be found on the country-specific page for China.
If you have any questions regarding studying at Manchester, please contact the Doctoral Academy at email@example.com.
For enquires to the China Scholarship Council, please contact Miss Zou Dongyun, Project Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone +86-(0)10 6609 3977.
You may also wish to contact one of our CSC scholars who has just started his PhD study in Neuroscience. His name is Arthur Yushi and he has written a blog post about his experience of applying. He can be contacted at email@example.com and on Wechat account 115645571.
Good luck and we hope to see you soon.