Taught master’s in medicine
Whether you want to gain specialist knowledge in a specific area, brush up on your skills as a scientist or go into research, we have a taught master's course in medicine for you.
Manchester is home to both one of the largest medical schools in the UK and top researchers working at the forefront of the medical field.
We offer postgraduate taught courses covering a wide range of disciplines for students from both medical and non-medical backgrounds.
Become a specialist
Specialist courses cover experimental, occupational, aesthetic and musculoskeletal medicine, paediatric anaesthesia, and medical education. You’ll learn from educators based in local hospitals and specialist NHS services. Some courses, such as our MSc in Medical and Molecular Virology, cover relevant topics such as COVID-19.
"...there was always an ethos of setting the bar high and overcoming all obstacles."Thomas Fathers / PGDip Physician Associate Studies
Start your research training
We offer master's courses that are designed to help you prepare for PhD study and a career in medical research, giving you a head start if you want to become a research scientist.
"Several modules in the course also help to develop more generic skills such as critical appraisal of literature and evidence as well as research methods to help improve clinical practice and evidence based learning."James Garbarino / Paediatric Anaesthesia MSc
Access unique facilities
Depending on your area of interest, you'll have access to world-leading facilities such as our Genome Editing Unit, which is the only UK core facility that both uses CRISPR-Cas9 and trains others to do so.
Students on our clinical courses will benefit from Manchester's close links to local NHS hospitals, with the opportunity to explore real-life clinical scenarios as part of your studies.
- Advanced Clinical Practice - Paediatric Anaesthesia (PGCert)
- Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (MSc)
- Clinical Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Medicine (MSc)
- Experimental Medicine (Cancer) (MRes)
- Experimental Medicine (Dermatology) (MRes)
- Experimental Medicine (Hearing Health) (MRes)
- Experimental Medicine (Musculoskeletal) (MRes)
- Experimental Medicine (Respiratory) (MRes)
- Occupational Medicine (MSc)
- Physician Associate Studies (MSc)
- Skin Ageing and Aesthetic Medicine (MSc - blended learning)
- Skin Ageing and Aesthetic Medicine (PGCert - online)
Courses for NHS scientists
- Cancer Biology and Radiotherapy Physics (MSc)
- Clinical Biochemistry (MSc)
- Clinical Immunology (MSc)
- Health Data Science (MSc)
- Health Informatics (MSc) [jointly awarded by UCL and Manchester]
- Medical and Molecular Virology (MSc)
- Medical Imaging Science (MSc)
- Medical Microbiology (MSc)
- Molecular Pathology (MSc)
- Occupational Hygiene (MSc)
Medical research courses
- Cancer Research and Molecular Biomedicine (MSc)
- Cardiovascular Health and Disease (MRes)
- Genomic Medicine (MSc)
- Medical Sciences (MRes)
- Oncology (MRes)
- Precision Medicine (MSc)
- Public Health and Primary Care (MPH / MRes)
- Master of Public Health (Communicable Disease Prevention and Control) (MPH)
- Master of Public Health (Environment and Public Health) (MPH)
- Master of Public Health (Global Health) (MPH)
- Master of Public Health (Health Sciences) (MPH)
- Master of Public Health (Implementation Science) (MPH)
- Master of Public Health (Occupational Health) (MPH)
- Reproduction and Pregnancy (MRes)
- Tissue Engineering for Regenerative Medicine (MSc)
- Medical and Health Education (PGCert)