Frequently asked questions

We are often asked the same questions by our new postgraduate researchers.

Can I defer my entry?

Yes, but this must be in consultation with your supervisor and, if relevant, your sponsor. Please contact the Doctoral Academy Admissions team at for more information.

We can only defer applications for up to one year.

Can I apply for funding to support my studies?

The Faculty has a bursary scheme for international students. These awards have all been allocated for the 2023-24 academic year.

As a university student, you will have lots of new payments coming in and going out of your bank accounts, so it's important that you understand your student finances. Don’t worry, there's lots of advice and support available to make sure you can keep your finances in check.

So whether you're experiencing unexpected financial difficulties as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, want to apply for additional funding or are looking for advice on managing your money, we're here to help.

Take a look at the financial support available to you on the Student Support website: Financial support.

When will I get paid my stipend?

For students who are supported by a Research Council Studentship, the stipend rate is set by Research Councils UK, and is expected to increase annually in line with inflation.

The value of the award for the academic year 23/24 and the amount to £18,622.

To receive your stipend, you must first enter your bank account details into the student system (Campus Solutions) as part of the registration process. Visit the To-do list page for instructions on how to do this.

Payments will be made by bank transfer (BACS). Most stipends will be paid monthly (some will be made quarterly). The first instalment of your stipend will be paid on or around 1 October 2023. Further payments will be made on the final Thursday of each month.

Email us at if you are unsure how and when you will receive payments.

How do I pay my fees?

During the registration process, you can select your preferred payment method to suit your needs and also your sponsor (self-funded students and international scholarships only).

If you are sponsored then, on the production of a sponsor letter, we will invoice your sponsor directly.

If you are in receipt of a studentship, your fees will be paid via an internal process on your behalf.

If you are self-funding, then you can pay in full, or pay in three equal instalments due in September, January and April by direct debit.

You can find more details on how to pay your fees on the Student Support website: Self-financing students.

I'm receiving a studentship but I am having difficulty with financial registration. What do I do?

Completing financial registration is dependent on internal processes that the Doctoral Academy Finance Team will be working on. 

If you are unable to complete steps related to financial registration, don't worry as this information will be updated throughout September and you will be able to register fully by the end of September.

If you still have concerns, please contact the Admissions team, who will support you with your query. 


What is a supervisory team?

All students have a primary supervisor and may have additional co-supervisors who bring particular expertise to a project.

Postgraduate Tutors

Postgraduate Tutors have responsibility for overseeing students within their division (you will be assigned to a division depending on your supervisor). Postgraduate tutors are expected to meet students informally during Induction Week and occasionally throughout the year.

The Postgraduate Tutors sit on Divisional Postgraduate Research Committees and deal with problems that might affect a student's ability to meet progression milestones or thesis submission.

Postgraduate Tutors also conduct the writing-up interviews in the final year (or during submission pending) to ensure students manage the final stages of thesis preparation and will submit on time. The name of your Postgraduate Tutor will be confirmed shortly after arrival/registration.


Students are assigned an Advisor for the duration of their research programme. The Advisor is independent of the student's immediate lab grouping and they are primarily providing pastoral support. 

We encourage students to contact their Advisor in the first instance if they have any concerns that cannot be managed by approaching their supervisor or co-supervisor.

Are there teaching opportunities during my programme?

Across the Faculty, we have opportunities for postgraduate research students to work as graduate teaching assistants (GTAs) and demonstrators on our undergraduate courses. You will earn cash while gaining valuable experience and boosting your CV.

Further information can be found on the Doctoral Academy website: Teaching and demonstrating.

We also ask for helpers at postgraduate open days.

Where can I access healthcare?

We know that your health and wellbeing is an important consideration, especially in the current circumstances.

While studying with us, if you have an illness or injury that won't go away then it's best to make an appointment with your General Practitioner (GP).

All students should register with a GP so that, if you ever need one, you can access the service.  You should, if you can, register with a GP before you arrive in Manchester. The Students' Union website has some helpful advice on finding a GP.

Information for international students

If you're applying to stay in the UK for six months or longer, you'll be required to pay an immigration health surcharge (prior to completing your visa application) to cover your healthcare.

Once you've paid the surcharge, you'll be entitled to visit a doctor or be treated in hospital for free. Students from Australia or New Zealand are exempt from the health surcharge, as the UK has reciprocal health agreements in place with those countries.

Are there opportunities to meet other research students?

We aim to support our postgraduate researchers in making the most of the student community at The University of Manchester.

You will have opportunities to meet fellow researchers through the Postgraduate Society and Faculty events.

You can explore the Students' Union Buddy pairing scheme and the University Group Check-In and Video chat.

These peer-to-peer activities, popular with students last year, are offered to help you make friends and keep in touch, even if you need to quarantine or self-isolate.

To register your interest for Check-in and Chat, please email with your name and course. 

What if I arrive late? (International students only)

You should contact your supervisor to inform them of your arrival date. This will allow your supervisor to make suitable arrangements for when you do arrive.

Please also contact the Doctoral Academy by emailing We will advise you if there are other points that need to be considered.

Note that your CAS has a latest arrival date. If you know that you will not arrive in Manchester by this date, you must contact the Doctoral Academy.

Can I get a COVID vaccination?

You will be able to access a range of free COVID-19 vaccinations, whether you've already received one dose, or are yet to receive any.

If you've already received your first dose of a vaccine that is available in the UK, then you should receive the same one here.

If it's not available in the UK, then the most similar alternative should be offered.

It's important that you contact your GP to make sure you receive the most appropriate second dose.

These vaccinations are free, so if you see a request for payment then please report this to us and Action Fraud and don't pay.

You can find out more in the NHS England FAQs and an article put together by our Student News Team.

Will the University provide me with computer equipment?

The University runs a service to provide postgraduate researchers with personal computing equipment, namely laptops and desktop PCs.

Further details including what computer equipment you can request via this service can be found on the IT Services website: Computer delivery service for postgraduate researchers.