Undergraduate CPD units in nursing, midwifery and social work
We offer a wide range of Level 6 units for health professionals looking to improve their skills and further their careers through CPD.
Our CPD units are available to both those working in nursing, midwifery and social work and other health practitioners.
You can study individual units as standalone short courses, or build up the credits earned through individual units to contribute towards an undergraduate award.
Our Nursing Practice and Midwifery Practice BSc (Hons) courses are for qualified nurses and midwives who wish to undertake CPD at undergraduate (Level 6) level.
You can either take individual units attached to these courses as standalone CPD courses, or combine several units to build up 120 credits over a maximum of five years on a part-time basis and achieve the full BSc award.
Please note that these BSc courses are not suitable for undergraduate students wishing to train as a nurse in the first instance - please see the following BNurs courses instead:
Our CPD units
If you are studying for a BSc award, the course consists of four specialist pathways that share a range of core course units. These units can be taken on their own or alongside other units. Please see our course schedules for provisional study dates for the below units:
- 2017/18 Level 6 CPD timetable (PDF, 99KB)
Core CPD units
- Independent Study (10 credits)
- Independent Study (20 credits)
- Leadership and Management (20 credits)
- Multiprofessional Support for Learning and Assessment in Practice (20 credits)
- Principles of Infection Prevention and Control (40 credits)
- Pain Management (20 credits)
- Research Dissertation (40 credits)
Cancer and palliative care CPD units
- Foundations in Cancer Care (40 credits)
- Principles and Practice of Breast Cancer Nursing (40 credits)
- Principles of Haematology Oncology (20 credits)
- Promoting Effective Practice in Supportive and Palliative Care (20 credits)
Critical and surgical care CPD units
- Renal Nursing (20 credits)
- Theory and Practice of Ophthalmic Care and Management (20 credits)
Maternal and child health CPD units
- Enhancing Neonatal Nursing Practice (40 credits)
- Intensive Care of the Neonate (20 credits)
- Newborn Infant Physical Examination Clinical Practice (PDF, 255KB) [please note that this unit is only for those who have graduated with a University of Manchester BMidwif (Hons) degree from September 2016 onwards]
Mental health CPD units
For self-funded or organisation-funded (non-SLA) courses, please complete the following forms and return them to the address at the top of the application form.
- CPD application form (Word, 58 KB) - this document includes a funding confirmation form.
- Funding confirmation form (Word, 82KB) - please use this if you are already registered on a pathway, and are submitting an application/confirmation of funding for the next unit as part of your pathway plan.
Limited funding may be available through the Continuing Education Service Level Agreement (SLA) for staff working in the NHS in the north-west. Please contact your trust for further information.
For more information about our CPD courses, please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling +44 (0)161 306 7604.