Public health and primary care CPD courses
We offer training for professionals who want to continue their learning and development in public health.
Contemporary public health practice requires practitioners to be adaptable and flexible, with a broad experience of a range of subject areas. Our professional development programme offers an innovative approach to learning, enabling us to meet training needs for health professionals interested in a career in public health or those seeking new skills.
Our CPD programme enables you to register for any of our single course units and study alongside students on one of our degree programmes. You will also have the opportunity to request accreditation (APL) of these course units towards a complete degree at The University of Manchester or elsewhere.
We also run regular half-day CPD sessions on public health, which are accredited by the Royal College of Physicians.
Our CPD courses
- Personal Professional Development programme (take individual CPD course units on their own or combine several)
Public health CPD sessions
We run CPD sessions that have been designed for those working in or with public health from all sectors who want an introduction or an update in the areas of finding and using public health evidence to improve practice, culture and public health and innovation in public health.
Each session has been accredited for three hours of CPD by the Royal College of Physicians.
The programme for summer 2019 has now ended. Details for 2020 will be published here when confirmed. You can see a list of typical sessions below.
- Understanding Evidence: Study Design and Bias
- Searching for Evidence: Practical Skills
- Critical Appraisal of Randomised Controlled Trials
- Critical Appraisal of Observational Studies
- Introduction to Biostatistics
- Linear Regression
- Randomised Controlled Trials: Design and Analysis
- Observational Data Analysis
- Causal Inference, Mediation and Propensity Score
- Introduction to Key Concepts in Economic Evaluation
- Economic Evaluation in Public Health
- Preferences: How you build on economic evaluation and think more broadly on preference evaluation
- The Role of Health Economics in Distributing Healthcare Budgets
- Intercultural Public Health
- An Introduction to Designing Health Apps
- Occupational and Environmental Health
- Childhood Obesity Workshop
- Molecular Epidemiology
We also offer a range of courses for professionals who wish to work towards a full postgraduate award, including:
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Primary Care (MRes)
- Public Health (MRes)
- Master of Dental Public Health (MDPH)
- Dental Public Health (MRes)
See a full list of our taught master's courses.
"As a clinician, I am always looking for ways of helping people beyond what my medicine and surgical procedures can do. The MPH has enabled me to look at medical practice with both clinical and public health lenses."Daniel Semakula / Research Officer, Fair Tests Project, Makerere University College of Health Sciences (Uganda)
Follow us on social media
- Twitter: @ManchesterMPH
- Facebook: Public Health Postgraduate Education by Distance Learning