Public health and primary care CPD courses
We offer training for professionals who want to continue their learning and development in public health.
Contemporary public health practice requires practitioners to be adaptable and flexible, with a broad experience of a range of subject areas. Our professional development programme offers an innovative approach to learning, enabling us to meet training needs for health professionals interested in a career in public health or those seeking new skills.
Our CPD programme enables you to register for any of our single course units and study alongside students on one of our degree programmes. You will also have the opportunity to request accreditation (APL) of these course units towards a complete degree at The University of Manchester or elsewhere.
We also run regular half-day CPD sessions on public health, which are accredited by the Royal College of Physicians.
Our CPD courses
- Personal Professional Development programme (take individual CPD course units on their own or combine several)
Distance learning course units:
- Evidence Based Practice (15 credits)
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology (15 credits)
- Communicable Disease Control (15 credits)
- Emergency Humanitarian Assistance (15 credits)
- Health Promotion Theory and Methods (15 credits)
- Primary Health Care (15 credits)
- Qualitative Research Methods (15 credits)
- Biostatistics (15 credits)
- Advanced Epidemiology (15 credits)
- Emergency Planning, Response and Resilience (15 credits)
- Health Economics (15 credits)
- Health Systems in Low income Countries (15 credits)
- Impact, Information and Evaluation (15 credits)
- Working with Communities (15 credits)
- Global Health in the 21st Century (15 credits)
- Global Women's Public Health (15 credits)
Blended learning course units:
- UK Leadership and Public Health Strategy (15 credits)
- Intercultural Public Health (15 credits)
- Promoting Health and Wellbeing in Practice (15 credits)
Public health CPD sessions – autumn 2018
The following programme of CPD sessions has been designed for those working in or with public health from all sectors who want an introduction or an update in the areas of finding and using public health evidence to improve practice, culture and public health and innovation in public health.
Each session costs £50 and has been accredited for three hours of CPD by the Royal College of Physicians. If you would like to pay by invoice, please email email@example.com for more details.
Find out more and register at the links below.
- Understanding Evidence - Study Designs and Bias (2 October 2018, 9.30am-12.30pm)
- Assessing the Evidence – Randomised Control Trials (15 November 2018, 9.30am-12.30pm)
- Appraising the Evidence - Systematic Reviews and Meta-analyses (22 November, 9.30am-12.30pm)
We also offer a range of courses for professionals who wish to work towards a full postgraduate award, including:
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Primary Care (MRes)
- Public Health (MRes)
- Master of Dental Public Health (MDPH)
- Dental Public Health (MRes)
"As a clinician, I am always looking for ways of helping people beyond what my medicine and surgical procedures can do. The MPH has enabled me to look at medical practice with both clinical and public health lenses."Daniel Semakula / Research Officer, Fair Tests Project, Makerere University College of Health Sciences (Uganda)
Follow us on social media
- Twitter: @ManchesterMPH
- Facebook: Public Health Postgraduate Education by Distance Learning