This special 4-year programme for international students gives you the opportunity to carry out independent research while gaining a Postgraduate Certificate in Medical and Health Education and specialist training across a range of biological, medical and health sciences.
Why choose this programme?
- Undertake a PhD project in an internationally recognised research environment.
- Develop your teaching skills and gain a postgraduate certificate in higher education.
- Enhance your critical thinking and research skills through taught courses.
- Access support to develop your academic writing.
- Broaden your research techniques and gain transferable skills.
- Take courses in research methods in discipline-related topics.
- Learn in an interdisciplinary research environment.
- Gain a competitive edge for a career in Higher Education.
We have designed this programme to ensure our international doctoral graduates become future leaders in academia or their chosen career in biological, medical, or health sciences.
For a list of what you will study each year, see programme structure.
The programme is made up of five elements:
You will choose a self-funded research project specific to your area of study.
Fees and entry requirements for the programme are dependent on your chosen research project. Please see individual project listings for details.
You will be expected to submit your PhD thesis within the writing up period of the programme.
The programme allows you to study for a postgraduate certificate (PGCert) in teaching while conducting your research.
This qualification provides practical and theoretical skills in teaching and assessment in a variety of settings. It will give you a competitive edge if you are planning a career in higher education.
You will take three teaching certificate units as part of the programme.
When you start the programme, you will take an online test to assess your writing support needs. The outcome of this will determine the level and nature of support during the programme.
You will then take an online course made up of 13 modules to help you improve your academic literacy. The course can be completed over a six-week period and this independent study will also help you to develop time management and organisational skills.
You can also get additional support through weekly face-to-face classes.
You can enhance your research and professional skills through our Doctoral Academy training programme. This support is tailored to your personal development and the needs of your project.
You will also be supported by a thriving research community that will promote collaboration and networking opportunities.
“I wanted to do a PhD overseas, particularly in the UK. I chose The University of Manchester based on its research reputation. I was supervised by dedicated PIs, with frequent one-to-ones and group meetings for research planning, interpretation of data and tackling scientific problems. Scientific publication from my PhD has opened the door to continue my research as a Postdoctoral Associate in Yale Medical School, USA.”Arunkumar Sundaram / PhD Biochemistry, Malaysia
Manchester is a city with a thriving international community and a history of transforming the world, and you can be a part of it!
As an international student you will benefit from an established support network. Once you arrive, there are plenty of social activities and peer support available through our friendly Doctoral Academy Graduate Society.
What we do for our students
- Ensure you have a supervisory team that will provide the highest quality research expertise.
- Assign you with a postgraduate tutor, who will monitor progression and provide independent guidance.
- Provide a dedicated system for monitoring your own progression and training.
- Provide a dedicated offer holders website containing essential pre-arrival information for registration and your induction week.
- Provide state-of-the-art research expertise and equipment via our research facilities.
Our first cohort of postgraduate researchers started the PhD programme with integrated teaching certificate in 2016. We currently have students from Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Uganda, Chile and Egypt.
”It’s great to be able to develop both the research and teaching potential of the brightest international research students and to help them further their careers in their respective countries. In my experience it adds another dimension to the PhD student’s education and they gain more insights into what it takes to succeed in an academic career.”Dr David Brough / Postgraduate Tutor
Getting in touch...
For more information please contact us.