International entry requirements
If you live outside of the UK, you can determine whether your qualifications are accepted for Medicine at Manchester by consulting specific information for individual countries on the pages in this section, as well as information on our English language requirements.
Academic entry requirements by country
Use the links below to navigate to your region and country-specific requirements.
If your country or qualifications are not listed, please contact us for a qualifications assessment by emailing email@example.com before you submit your application.
English language requirements
In most cases, we expect applicants to satisfy our English language requirement by offering English language at GCSE grade B or above (or a score of 5 in the International Baccalaureate diploma).
Applicants from outside the UK (including non-native speakers) need to meet specific English language requirements to study at Manchester. For Medicine, we accept:
- GCSE/IGCSE English (first language): Grade B.
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS): A minimum average score of 7.0 and with not less than 6.5 in any one component taken at the same sitting.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic: An overall score of 73 with no less than 73 in each of the communicative skills domains taken at the same sitting.
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE), or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE): An overall score of 185, with no less than 185 in each of the scoring domains taken at the same sitting.
- International Baccalaureate diploma: A score of 5 at Standard or Higher level.
Please note that some scores only remain valid for two years. If you apply using a certificate gained over two years ago at the point that you start your course, you will need to retake the test.
English language qualifications, achieved or pending, must be declared at the point of application, unless otherwise agreed with the admissions team before the UCAS submission deadline. If an English language qualification is not declared, unfortunately the application will be rejected.
The English language requirement will not be waived under any circumstances. At interview, if we have any concerns about your English language capability, regardless of your origin, country of upbringing or existing qualifications, we may require you to take an additional English language test as a condition of any offer we make to you.
Please note that we do not accept GCSE/iGCSE English as a second language to satisfy our English language requirements. If you are offering one of these qualifications, it must be supplemented by one of the English language qualifications listed above.