Date and time: Summer 2018 (exact date to be confirmed)
Location: Forensic Academy, The University of Manchester
Fee: £399 (early bird fee; full cost is £449). Includes training materials, lunch and refreshments. Manual: £75.
Contact us: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +44 (0)161 306 7802
The assessment and management of violence risk is a core component of the work of healthcare and criminal justice services. However, there has been little systematic work on violence risk assessment in young people and agencies differ in the nature of the assessment process.
Structured professional guidelines are based on scientific knowledge, yet practically relevant. They have shown promise in improving practice, as structured risk assessments can promote transparency, accountability and encourage professional judgement.
This training is aimed at professionals involved in the assessment and management of violence risk in young people and will aid professionals' formulation and management plans.
Who should attend?
The training is intended for any professional working with young people who is expected to assess and manage the risk of violence, including mental health professionals, youth offending service staff, prison service staff, specialist educational staff, social workers, lecturers and researchers.
By the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- discuss theories of violence in young people, within a developmental context;
- discuss the rationale for the structured professional judgment approach to risk management;
- use Structured Professional Judgement tools including the SAVRY;
- understand School Threat Assessment and Offence Analysis;
- understand risk formulation and management;
- critically review research and limits of practice.
- Dr Paulette Farnworth - Clinical Nurse Specialist, Adolescent Forensic Unit, Greater Manchester West.
- Dr Charlotte Lennox - Researcher, The University of Manchester (mental health needs and risk assessment for adolescents).
How to book your place
You will be able to book online or via a downloadable form once a date has been confirmed. You can contact us to join our mailing list and receive updates on this event.
Tel: +44 (0)161 306 7802