College of Experts
The College of Experts at the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health aims to enhance the quality of research grant applications to major funders by promoting a stronger culture of peer support and peer learning among our research staff.
Advice and support for these applications will be impartial and provided by College members who sit on external funding panels and have an established research track record.
The College of Experts is led by Professor Stuart Pickering-Brown and supported by the Faculty research team. It has three main remits:
- high quality peer review for high value (~£1m+) prestigious and strategic applications (including cross-faculty initiatives);
- peer support for shortlisted applications that require interview support;
- horizon scanning of major funding initiatives via our College members.
For more information, please get in touch with the College of Experts at FBMHcollegeofexperts@manchester.ac.uk.
Members of the College of Experts are researchers within the Faculty with an active research track record who are held in esteem by their peers.
We have used a number of criteria to invite researchers to become members of the College of Experts, including:
- experience of reviewing proposals for a major funding body;
- involvement in activities on a national or international level;
- membership (current or recent) of a board or panel of a major biomedical funder.
To view members’ areas of expertise and peer review experience download a full list of members (Excel, 122KB).
"The College of Experts makes use of the deep and extensive experience across our Faculty to maximise the success of major grants. It’s a pleasure to lead it and assist colleagues in their preparation of significant funding applications facilitating the very best research at the University".Professor Stuart Pickering-Brown / Director, College of Experts