College of Experts
The College of Experts at the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health aims to enhance the quality of research grant applications to major funders by promoting a stronger culture of peer support and peer learning among our research staff.
Advice and support for these applications will be impartial and provided by College members who sit on external funding panels and have an established research track record.
The College of Experts is led by Professor Nigel Hooper and supported by the Faculty research team. It has three main remits:
- high quality peer review for high value (~£1m+) prestigious and strategic applications (including cross-faculty initiatives);
- peer support for shortlisted applications that require interview support;
- horizon scanning of major funding initiatives via our College members.
For more information, please get in touch with the College of Experts at FBMHcollegeofexperts@manchester.ac.uk.
Members of the College of Experts are researchers within the Faculty with an active research track record who are held in esteem by their peers.
We have used a number of criteria to invite researchers to become members of the College of Experts, including:
- experience of reviewing proposals for a major funding body;
- involvement in activities on a national or international level;
- membership (current or recent) of a board or panel of a major biomedical funder.
"I am delighted to be leading the Faculty's College of Experts. Securing substantive grant awards is key to pushing forward medical research. Our aim is to provide expert support to applicants right the way through the application process to ensure that their award is as competitive as possible."Nigel Hooper / Director, College of Experts