UK Centre for the History of Nursing
The UK Centre for the History of Nursing (UKCHN) is Europe's only dedicated research centre for the discipline.
The Centre is based at The University of Manchester and is a leading collaborator in both the UK Association for the History of Nursing and the European Association for the History of Nursing. See the Associations page for more information.
We also act in collaboration with the Royal College of Nursing Archives and the Royal College of Nursing History of Nursing Society.
UKCHN hosts an experienced team of academics who are leading a number of projects in nursing history. We also promote the teaching of nursing at undergraduate level and offer PhD supervision.
Our aims are to:
- support scholarly research in the field;
- seek external funding for research, and produce excellent outputs;
- offer PhD and MPhil supervision;
- provide a supportive network for academics in the field;
- promote the inclusion of nursing history in undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
The interests of the group focus on the following main themes:
- nursing in wartime;
- histories of nursing practice;
- humanitarian nursing.
See a list of our most recent publications.
Find out who is involved in our research.