Oral radiology and imaging research group
The oral radiology and imaging research group is based within the Health Sciences research theme at Manchester.
|Name||Job title||Email address|
|Hugh Devlin*||Professor in Restorative Dentistryfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Keith Horner*||Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Imagingemail@example.com|
* Postgraduate research supervisors
About our research
Oral radiology is essential to dental practice as an aid to diagnosis and treatment. The researchers in this area have an overriding aim of promoting evidence-based use of x-ray based imaging, taking into account the diagnostic benefits and the risks.
This aim is addressed through three main research strategies:
- systematic review and national/European guideline development;
- medical physics-focused laboratory research;
- clinical studies with patients.
Collaboration with others in the University and internationally is a key aspect of our work.
Current research interests include:
- evidence-based use of dental imaging;
- the diagnostic efficacy of dental Cone Beam CT;
- radiation dosimetry and protection;
- bone quality and osteoporosis - the impact of osteoporosis on oral health.
Current postgraduate research students
- Abtesam Aljdaimi