MSc Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science / Overview
Year of entry: 2019
- Degree awarded
- MSc/MRes 1 year FT, up to 4 years PT
- Entry requirements
We require an honours degree (minimum Upper Second) or overseas equivalent in:
- clinical and biological sciences
- or other science subjects.
This course is also available for intercalating medical students, both from the University of Manchester and other UK universities, upon completion of their third year. For St Andrews students studying at Manchester, this includes the three-year course plus the following one or two years spent in Manchester. Intercalating medical students need to have passed all assessments at first attempt (if you are in your third year) or have no fails in third year if you are in your fourth year.
- Number of places/applicants
- 20 places
- How to apply
Please apply via our online application form . See the Application and selection section for details of the supporting documents that we require.
We recommend that you apply as early as possible. The formal deadline is the end of July. We reserve the right to close applications earlier if the course is full.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
- Update your knowledge to ensure you are at the cutting edge of modern ophthalmology if you are a ophthalmologist, optometrist, orthoptist, biological scientist or nurse.
- Prepare for a related research or academic career.
- Benefit from the research expertise of the University and the clinical expertise of Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
- Study at a university ranked 9th in the UK and in the top 50 in the world for medicine (QS World University Rankings 2018).
- We offer some units from this MSc as standalone courses for continuing professional development (CPD). See the Ophthalmology and Optometry CPD units page for further details.
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2019, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): £10,000
International students (per annum): £23,000
UK/EU students (per annum): £5,000
International students (per annum): £11,500
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1,000 towards their tuition fees before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
The University permits applicants with comparable previous experience to submit an application for consideration of AP(E)L - Accreditation Prior (Experiential) Learning. The maximum AP(E)L is 15 credits to a Certificate, 45 credits to a Diploma and 60 credits to a Masters.
If an AP(E)L application is successful, the University charges £30 for every 15 credits of AP(E)L. The overall tuition fee is adjusted and then the administrative charge is applied.
The Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health offers an alumni bursary of £1,000 towards tuition fees for successful applicants who are recent University of Manchester graduates and who are commencing one of our postgraduate taught master's programmes in 2019.
The bursary is available to students or alumni who:
- graduated in 2018 or are graduating in 2019;
- hold a first class honours degree;
- have home or overseas fee status;
- are applying for full- or part-time study;
- are self-funded and not in receipt of any other funding support.
The bursary will be applied as a fee reduction automatically for those students and alumni who meet the alumni bursary criteria so there is no application process.