MSc Medical Microbiology / Overview
Year of entry: 2018
- Degree awarded
- MSc: 12/24 mths (FT/PT); PGDip: 9/24 mths (FT/PT)
- Entry requirements
We require an honours degree (minimum Upper Second) or overseas equivalent in:
- medical laboratory sciences
- biomedical sciences
- veterinary medicine
- other biology degrees with an element of microbiology.
Non-standard applicants for the course will be considered on an individual basis, but may be required to enrol initially on the PGDip course.
- Number of places/applicants
- 40-60 places
- How to apply
Please apply via our online application form , following any instructions for completion carefully.
See the Application and selection section for details of the supporting documents we need in addition to the completed form.
We recommend that you apply as early as possible; applications will remain open until the beginning of the next academic year. However, we reserve the right to close applications earlier if the course is full.
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
- Learn about the medical and molecular aspects of bacteriology, virology, mycology and immunity to infection through our IBMS-accredited course.
- Study at a university ranked 9th in the UK and among the top 50 in the world for medicine (QS World University Rankings 2017).
- Learn from both academics at the University and NHS specialists in infectious disease and medical microbiology.
- Gain significant practical experience in the laboratory, developing the skills that employers value.
- Prepare for a career in clinical sciences or academic and industrial research.
Attending an open day is a great way to find out what studying at Manchester is like. Find out about our upcoming open days .
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2018, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK/EU students (per annum): £9,750
International students (per annum): £22,000
UK/EU students (per annum): £4,875
International students (per annum): £11,000
UK/EU students (per annum): £7,800
International students (per annum): £17,600
UK/EU students (per annum): £3,900
International students (per annum): £8,800
The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive for the course tuition, administration and computational costs during your studies.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of courses lasting more than a year for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for international students for the course duration at the year of entry).
For general fees information please visit postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your qualification award and method of attendance.
Self-funded international applicants for this course will be required to pay a deposit of £1,000 towards their tuition fees or provide a sponsor letter (which we must first confirm), before a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) is issued. This deposit will only be refunded if immigration permission is refused. We will notify you about how and when to make this payment.
Equity and Merit Scholarships are available for a number of academically excellent young professionals from Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia studying for certain full-time campus-based master's degrees at Manchester, including Medical Microbiology.
Read about one of our graduates, Jean D'Amour Mutoni , who has recently graduated with his MSc in Medical Microbiology thanks to the financial assistance offered by the scholarship scheme.