Mobile menu icon
Mobile menu icon Search iconSearch
Search type

PGR student reps

PGR student reps provide a voice for fellow students in their Division or cohort by ensuring their concerns are raised during University decision-making processes.

The Doctoral Academy's PGR rep scheme is a valued part of the PGR community in the Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health. We believe that reps help get PGRs' voices heard, while building a welcoming postgraduate research environment.

If you're interested in becoming a Rep, but you aren't sure what the role entails, have a look at the descriptions for each role below.

School PGR Rep

As a School PGR Rep, you are responsible for reporting to the Doctoral Academy and School committees on issues arising within your school, and circulating information to/from Divisional reps.

This includes:

• attending Doctoral Academy and School Committees;
  • attending the Manchester Doctoral College Strategy Group committee;
  • liaising with Division reps to identify issues within your School,
  • reporting feedback from Division reps to the School/DA;
  • attending welcome/induction events for new PGRs;
  • supporting the identification of new PGR Division reps;
  • providing feedback to programme management boards.

Time commitment: 3-4 hours per month.

Divisional and Programme PGR Rep

As a Divisional or Programme PGR Rep, you are responsible for providing a voice for a defined group of students in one Division or programme. Reps help ensure good communication between their PGRs and the relevant divisional academic lead.

Larger Divisions may have several reps, and you may wish to take on a specific area of interest (such as wellbeing) or focus on the concerns of a particular group of PGRs (such as first years).

Responsibilities include:

• liaising regularly with the Division’s Senior PGR Tutor;
  • disseminating information to/from the School rep to/from the student cohort;
  • attending some Rep Forums and PGR Welcome Inductions;
  • developing feedback mechanisms to identify issues, concerns and good practice amongst fellow Divisional PGR students.

Time commitment: 1-2 hours per month.

All PGR Reps can find details of the role and responsibilities outlined in our PGR Rep Handbook (PDF, University log-in required).

You can get in touch with current reps by consulting this document: Contact details of current reps (PDF, University login required).

PGR Rep training events are held throughout the year. The next event will run on 4 April between 1pm and 4pm. For more information about the role or about the training, please contact Erin Barrett.

Email: erin.barrett@manchester.ac.uk

Have you been impressed by a PGR Rep?

If you have been particularly impressed by the actions of your local PGR Rep, there is a PGR Representative category in the PGR Excellence Awards.

Our PGRs have organised many events and activities for PGRs in their Schools, Divisions and programmes. PGR rep activities include attending careers seminar series, coffee mornings, sports days and International Women's Day initiatives.

If you feel a Rep deserves a shoutout for their hard work, please get in touch with Erin Barrett for Reps to have a special mention in the monthly Doctoral Academy PGR Bulletin.

Email: erin.barrett@manchester.ac.uk 

Meet your School PGR Reps

School of Biological Sciences

Name: Jess Mackin

Year of Study: 2nd year

Programme: BBSRC DTP

Why I became a Rep: There were multiple reasons why I took up the role. Not only to represent PGRs and help to improve their PhD journey but also to expand my skillset outside of the lab. This means greater awareness and knowledge about PGR related issues, how they are discussed, in which meetings are they discussed - are they being discussed? How to communicate among a wider audience, timekeeping and networking among the University. I recently took up the role in January 2022 and everything being done so far makes me feel like we are trying to make a difference and improve PGR life.

Contact me: jessica.mackin@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk

Name: Brendan Capey

Year of Study: 2nd year

Programme: BBSRC DTP

Why I became a Rep: Originally, I was a Division Rep within the School of Medical Sciences. My lab then moved to the School of Biological Sciences, and I made the leap to School PGR Rep to become more proactively involved in pursuing improvements to the PGR Student experience by translating student feedback into the positive changes that they want in their school.

Contact me: brendan.capey@postgrad.manchester.ac.uk

School of Health Sciences

Name: Alex Dzhoneva

Year of study: 3rd year

Programme: Cancer Science (Ph&O)

Why I became a Rep: I became a rep to help the wonderful PGRs in my Division/School with getting their voice heard, as well as to work towards implementing (hopefully!) positive improvements.

Contact me: aleksandra.dzhoneva@manchester.ac.uk

Name: Hamid Eltoukhy

Year of study: 4th year

Programme: Drug Design Development & Del

Contact meabdelhamid.eltoukhy@manchester.ac.uk

School of Medical Sciences

Name: Felicity Hunter

Year of study: 2nd year

Programme: MRC funded Doctoral Training Programme 

Why I became a Rep: I wanted to represent the PGR student voice in important decision-making processes to help drive positive change and improve the PGR experience for everyone.

Contact me: felicity.hunter@manchester.ac.uk

Name: Rinta Mathew

Year of study: 1st year

Programme: PhD Gastroenterology

Why I became a Rep: To support the student group. Be the voice of the students. To make a difference and contribute to the shaping of the School. Being an international student, I am aware of the difficulties we face in the University, so as a Rep, I want to champion international PGR issues.

Contact merinta.mathew@manchester.ac.uk