Why is this course for me?
- You want to pick and choose the subjects that interest you from a broad field encompassing a diversity of organisms; from bacteria to plants and animals, and from the molecular level to whole ecosystems.
- You want to go on a field course in Europe, Africa or Central America to see plants and animals in their natural habitat.
- You want to improve your employability by taking this course with an integrated master’s year, an industrial/professional experience year or a modern language.
- We have links with biotechnology companies, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and other institutions undertaking research all over the world.
- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
- Degree awarded
- BSc (Hons)
- 3 years
- Number of places/applicants
- Data not available.
- Typical A level offer
- Grades AAA-ABB.
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
- 37-33 points overall including 5 or 6 points in two sciences at Higher level, normally Biology and Chemistry.
- Contact email
- Contact telephone
- +44 (0)161 275 5032
- How to apply
Apply through UCAS .
You should not usually apply for more than one of our biological and biomedical sciences courses. Please contact us for advice if you are planning to do so.
“The flexibility of the course has meant I’ve been able to tailor my degree to my interests, being able to specialise in some areas but also maintain a breath of knowledge from throughout biology. Due to the research led attitude at The University of Manchester, I’ve also been able to participate in cutting edge research on at the frontiers of biology.”Sean Dougherty
Biology 'the study of living organisms' is a wide-ranging topic in which you may have many potential areas of interest. This course will suit you if you want a broad biological course while avoiding early specialisation.
You can keep your options open and cover a wide range of areas; or you have the flexibility, when you identify areas that interest and hopefully excite you, to focus on particular biological topics. You can benefit from a wide spectrum of training in the life sciences from staff who are specialists in their chosen subject areas. Many biology students report that field courses were their favourite units; these take place in locations in the UK and abroad, chosen for the richness and interest of their flora and fauna.
The University runs several open days per year.
We also operate campus tours, which are available most days. These are with a student ambassador who will can tell you all about life at The University of Manchester. It may also be possible to meet with admissions staff (subject to staff availability). These tours are open to anybody thinking of applying to us for any of the biological or biomedical sciences. Family and friends are welcome too. To book, please contact our Admissions Office on tel +44 (0)161 275 5032 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Tuition fees for home/EU students commencing their studies in September 2016 will be approximately £9,000 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £20,000 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate student finance pages.